The New York Giants have some critical personnel decisions to make this off-season.
Among the free agents they’ll have to re-sign or let walk: Victor Cruz, Kenny Phillips, Martellus Bennett, William Beatty, Rocky Bernard, Chase Blackburn and Stevie Brown.
Other Giants with murky futures with the organization include Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Corey Webster.
Should the Giants part with any of these soon-to-be free agents, here are some of the best options to replace, should they take the free agency route.
- Dwayne Bowe — Should Kansas City embark on a rebuilding project, Bowe certainly would be a casualty.
- Mike Wallace — “60 Minutes” is going to seek a long-term deal, esepcially after last year’s debacle.
- Greg Jennings — At times, Jennings has conceded it’s unlikely he’ll be back in Green Bay.
- Wes Welker/Julian Edelman — The Pats are likely going to part with one of these two receivers.
- Danny Amendola — Despite injuries, Amendola has exceeded expectations on the field.
- Brian Hartline — Hartline was the go-to option for Miami, and put up palpable stats with a rookie quarterback.
- Donnie Avery — One of Andrew Luck’s top targets, a great third option.
- Kevin Ogletree — Would the Cowboy switch sides?
- Randy Moss — He’s not playing a big role in San Fran. He may seek a greater opportunity with a contender elsewhere.
- Plaxico Burress — Reunited?
- Tony Gonzalez — If Atlanta lets him walk, how much would the perennial Pro Bowler command?
- Fred Davis — Injuries have derailed his career early on.
- Dustin Keller — Should the Jets let their main target go, would he want to remain in The Big Apple?
- Jared Cook — Much like Bennett last off-season, Cook is a underrated, under-utilized player.
- Martellus Bennett — Would the Giants prefer continuity at the position?
- Ryan Clady — The top tackle on the market to replace Beatty?
- Andre Smith — Perhaps too many issues in the past for the Giants to overpay for him.
- Branden Albert — Like Bowe, won’t be included in rebuilding project.
- Jake Long — Would command a hefty deal, but would Miami let him walk?
- Cliff Avril — Seeking a hefty, long-term payday.
- Israel Idonije — Would they go DE in the Draft, in-house or via free agency?
- Dwight Freeney — Would he leave Indy?
- Henry Melton — One of the more underrated DTs in the NFL.
- Randy Starks — A veteran to fill the void.
- Jason Jones — Likely seeking a long-term deal.
- Richard Seymour — Like Starks, a veteran fill-in.
- Rey Maualuga — A young, mobile LB to replace Blackburn, but very critical to Cincy’s success.
- Brian Urlacher — He wouldn’t leave the Windy City, would he?
- Tim Dobbins — When Brian Cushing is healthy, Dobbins is just a backup
- Dannell Ellerbe — Has filled in for Ray Lewis in Baltimore.
For other positions like cornerback and secondary, it’s more likely the Giants will stay in-house or add depth through the draft.
Follow Sam on Twitter @SamSpiegs