Jim Mancari, ContributorEach week, I will be taking a look at the Giants’ media notes to pull out some interesting facts about the upcoming opponent.
The Giants look to rebound from their poor start this Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. in Kansas City against the Chiefs.
The Giants are 10-2 in 12 regular season meetings against Kansas City. But after their 2-14 campaign last year, the Chiefs have sprinted out of the gate this season to a 3-0 start, led by familiar foe Andy Reid.
Here are some interesting Giants’ notes about this week’s opponent:
- Giants’ head coach Tom Coughlin is 5-1 against the Chiefs in the regular season. However, he is 9-10 in regular season games (0-2 in the playoffs) against Andy Reid.
- The Chiefs’ defense has allowed only 34 points through three games this season. That is the second lowest total in the league behind only the Seattle Seahawks (27). Meanwhile, the Giants’ defense has allowed the most points in the NFL (115) through three games.
- The Giants are 4-2 all-time at Arrowhead Stadium, the site of this Sunday’s game. The last meeting between these two teams in Kansas City was Oct. 4, 2009 – a 27-16 Giants’ win.
Here are some Giants-Chiefs connections:
- Giants’ secondary coach Peter Giunta was the Chiefs’ defensive backs coach for five seasons prior to joining Big Blue in 2006. In 2003, the Chiefs registered 25 interceptions, good enough for third in the NFL.
- The following Chiefs have ties to the New York/New Jersey area: TE Kevin Brock, DE Mike Catapano, CB Marcus Cooper, TE Anthony Fasano, LB Tamba Hali, LB Josh Martin and LB Dezman Moses.
- The last 0-3 team to reach the playoffs was the 1998 Buffalo Bills. That team rebounded to finish 10-6 and tied for second place in the AFC East.
- If it’s any consolation, that only team in NFL history to start a season 0-4 and make the playoffs was the 1992 San Diego Chargers. After dropping four straight, that team rattled off 11 wins in the next 12 games to finish 11-5.
Follow Jim Mancari on Twitter @JMMancari.