John Fennelly, Lead WriterBeating up on the Giants’ starting offense is becoming a parlor game here and although it’s worrisome, it’s also getting tiresome. It’s not all bad at QDTC these days. There are some good things that came out of this camp and preseason, such as….
1. The RBs are beasts. No matter who carries the ball for Big Blue, they are going to give you your money’s worth. Rashad Jennings. Andre Williams and Peyton Hillis are all big, tough, strong bodies that will keep the Giants’ offense afloat until the passing game sorts out their shortcomings.
2. Hey, we got some LBs. Jon Beason (foot) didn’t play a snap in preseason but the LB corp didn’t seem to miss him much. Jameel McClain was a gift in FA this spring and he has been nothing less than solid. Whoever scouted Devon Kennard should get a promotion. He got it right, big time. Jacquian Williams and Spencer Paysinger are both healthy and played like demons this summer.
3. Damontre Moore. When Moore is on the field, he’s hard to miss. Look for the ball and you will find him. While everyone is focusing on JPP, Damonster (as he is known) will be the one stirring things up on the defense. I’m predicting a double-digit sack season for Moore in 2014.
4. The offensive line. Yes, the Achilles heel of the Giants’ roster. Had Geoff Schwartz not gotten hurt, the Giants’ offensive line would actually be a strength now. The Giants have practically run the ball at will this summer. They still need to get the protection schemes down, but I’m pleased with how the club has transitioned the line after saying goodbye to David Baas, Kevin Boothe, Chris Snee and David Diehl. Justin Pugh is becoming a solid pro. Has anyone seen Brandon Mosley, JD Walton and Weston Richburg play? No? Maybe these pundits who keep banging on the O-Line should shut up and watch them play for once.
5. Ryan Nassib. The traded up for Nassib in the 2013 draft. What a waste. Uh, wait a minute. A new OC comes through the door and Nassib suddenly blossoms into the Giants’ primary backup. Who would have thought that he would grasp Ben McAdoo’s system faster than Eli Manning would?
6. Who is this Corey Washington and how did the Giants’ get him? The short answer is: who cares, just sit back and enjoy the show. Washington had a breakout summer and has given the Giants depth during the long wait for first round pick Odell Beckham, Jr. to make his Giants’ debut.