The Giants couldn’t run the ball on Saturday but they could throw it. Eli Manning hit Victor Cruz for a 57 yard TD before giving way to the backups. The totals for all four QBs were 15-for31 for 221 yards with one TD and no INTs- a rating of 82.9.
The team’s top ten plays Saturday all came out of the passing game….
- E.Manning pass deep middle to V.Cruz for 57 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
- R.Nassib pass deep right to J.Talley to NYG 44 for 29 yards
- D.Carr pass deep right to B.Myers to NYG 45 for 20 yards
- C.Painter pass short left to D.Scott to NYG 40 for 20 yards
- E.Manning pass short left to R.Randle to NYG 37 for 16 yards
- D.Carr pass short left to D.Wilson to PIT 39 for 1 yard PENALTY on PIT-J.Worilds, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at PIT 39.
- D.Carr pass short middle to J.Jernigan to NYG 48 for 15 yards (D.Cromartie-Smith, M.McFadden).
- C.Painter pass short right to J.Jernigan to NYG 33 for 13 yards
- D.Carr pass short right to L.Murphy to PIT 40 for 12 yards
- D.Carr pass short left to D.Wilson to PIT 19 for 5 yards PENALTY on PIT-J.Worilds, Unnecessary Roughness, 7 yards, enforced at PIT 19.
Some quotes from the players at Giants’ practice yesterday….
“ It was good to obviously get a big play and a third down conversion and get a touchdown, so that’s always nice to get one of your top receivers a catch in the game and still know that he has the playmaking ability that he has had the last couple years….. I thought we did some good things. We had some good plays, had some third down conversions, you know and obviously there’s going to be things we can work on and that’s the point of preseason. Do some things well but it should get better. Your best game of the year is not supposed to be that first preseason game. There’s going to be a lot of areas where you have new guys, things you can improve on.” - Eli Manning on the overall offense last Saturday night in Pittsburgh.
“I think we could be really good. I think as long as we come together and understand each other’s roles—I play the slot, outside, and Hakeem—if everybody could just understand each other’s roles and just compete to the best of their ability, I think we’ll be just fine. We’re a talented bunch in that receiving room and I think the sky’s the limit for us.” – Victor Cruz on how good the Giants’ receiving corps can be.
“He’s light years from where he was last year. Not that there wasn’t some physical ability that I think was easily discerned by everybody, but the consistency of performance, the thing we were just talking about, reacting the right way on all the different looks that you get, in the professional ranks. That wasn’t at the level that you needed, but in terms of his work ethic, his leadership has been phenomenal, and he’s always had great hands. He’s always been a smooth route runner, he’s always going up and gotten any throw that was close. I think he shows good body control and that kind of stuff. Just in terms of making the right decisions off the coverages, he’s not being fooled. The way he picked up that blitz. … I mean who knows what’s going to happen, but I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t continue to play at a high level.” - OC Kevin Gilbride on WR Rueben Randle.