Some interesting tidbits on the Giants-Cowboys rivalry:
Giants head coach Tom Coughlin is 11-9 against the Cowboys in the regular season, 10-7 as the Giants’ head coach and 1-2 with Jacksonville. Coughlin is 1-0 against the Cowboys in the postseason.
QB Eli Manning is 11-7 lifetime vs the Cowboys, throwing for 4,420 yards and 34 TDs while completing 60.6% of his passes with a QB rating of 89.5.
The Giants are 7-11 in prime time against the Cowboys, their season-opening opponent.
The Giants are 0-5 in season-opening games vs. Dallas, losing in 1965, ‘86, ‘95, 2007 and ‘12. They went on to win the Super Bowl in two of those seasons (1986 and 2007). 1995 and 2012 were the only seasons that were Giants home games.
Key Dallas players vs Giants:
DE DeMarcus Ware: In 16 meetings, has 100 stops, four for losses, 13.5 sacks, 18 pressures and five forced fumbles. Has three multiple-sack games.
TE Jason Witten: Caught 101 passes for 1,100 yards and six touchdowns in 20 career games. Recorded a career-best 156 yards on 14 receptions at New York (12/6/09). Established an overall team and league tight end record with 18 catches and a career-best 167 yards (10/28/12).
* The Cowboys have only faced two teams – Philadelphia and Washington (104 each) – more than they have faced the Giants (101) in the regular season.
* Of the last 11 games, six have been decided by a touchdown-or- less, with three of those by four points-or-less.
* The Cowboys longest win streak in the series is 12 games, from 1974-80 – the second-longest win streak over a single oppo- nent in Dallas history.
* These teams tied their first ever meeting 31-31 in 1960, mark- ing Dallas’s only non-loss of its inaugural season.
* Dallas and New York have faced off in the playoffs only once in the series history – a 2007 NFC Divisional Playoff Game.
Factoids: Sunday’s contest will feature two of the NFL’s most successful teams in season openers. The Giants rank third in NFL history with 49 Kickoff Weekend victories, while the Cowboys have an NFL-best 35-17-1 (.673) record in season openers.
The teams with the most wins on Kickoff Weekend:
The teams with the highest winning percentage on Kickoff Weekend:
Some facts and figures courtesy NFL Media, Dallas Cowboys public relations and the Giants public relation depts.