Here are five things the Giants have to concentrate on if they have any designs of defeating the Denver Broncos today:
1. Ball security. They can’t go minus 5 in the turnover battle this week and expect to still be in the game in the fourth quarter. Giving Peyton Manning extra possessions today will send the crowd home early.
2. Pass protection. Eli has been pretty adept at avoiding sacks, but that doesn’t mean he’s not getting pressured. The line and the backfield protection schemes must improve from an execution standpoint.
3. Offense as the best defense. The Giants have more weapons than any defense can account for. They should move the football steadily against Denver as well as strike paydirt with a couple of big plays. Punter Steve Weatherford should only see the field today to hold for PATs.
4. Do your job. The defense has to “do their job” in cover schemes. No wandering, no gambling. They didn’t do too poorly against Dallas last week, but Denver has three big targets in Demaryius Thomas (6’3″), Eric Decker (6’3″) and TE Julius Thomas (6’5″) and the secondary will have their hands full. Throw in Wes Welker, and the task of stopping this offense becomes nearly impossible.
5. 12th man. At home, the Broncos’ offense has the luxury of the crowd’s cooperation. Today, the Giant fans must drown out Peyton, who loves to audible, to slow the train down.